ArtsLab is one of Australia’s premier emerging artist programs
Take a sneak peek into the ArtsLab experience. ArtsLab 2020: Behind Closed Doors. Video by Chris Meier.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications for ArtsLab 2021-22 will open in July
What is ArtsLab?
Are you an emerging artist? Don’t miss this unique opportunity to further your creative development and career. With a residency, mentorship, masterclasses, connections to industry, and a season showing of your work, ArtsLab is one of Australia’s premier emerging artist programs.
This residency isn’t just about creating work; it is about learning what it takes to have a sustainable career in the arts.
Is ArtsLab for me?
We are committed to creating inclusive and accessible opportunities for all artists to create new work in any form: dance, visual art, theatre, film, music, performance, digital art and more. ArtsLab is for early-career artists aged 18 – 26. We welcome diversity and encourage artist submissions from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people with disability.
How will ArtsLab help me as an emerging artist?
Our Shopfront ArtsLab artists for 2021-2022 will receive:
- Six-month access to studio/rehearsal space –days and times by negotiation (August-January);
- The opportunity to create work remotely if you live outside of Sydney or NSW, or prefer to work in your own space;
- Regular catch ups with other residents and Shopfront artistic team;
- Mid-point development showing;
- An industry leader as mentor throughout the process;
- Dramaturgical support from Shopfront’s Creative Director;
- Technical support for mid-point showing and full season of your work;
- Premiere your new work as a part of the ArtsLab festival season in February 2022 (exact dates TBC)
- Shopfront investment in the ArtsLab works for further development and/or future seasons at Shopfront or other venues.
How do I apply?
In preparing your application, you will need to compile the following:
Your biography as an artist or your artistic company’s biography; information about your proposed project including what you will explore, your chosen discipline, what you will do, details of any other artists involved and why you have chosen them, your artistic rationale, a proposed schedule and how you will achieve it, your plans for the future, and any additional supporting information.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications for ArtsLab 2021-2022 will open in July.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay informed
There are a lot of people struggling right now, but if you are in a position to help financially,
it could make the all the difference to Shopfront’s future.